EMST150™ HOW TO TRAIN INSTRUCTIONAL GUIDES
Adjusting the EMST150™Expiratory Muscle Strength Trainer for first time use
- Please use these instructions of how to use the EMST150™Expiratory Muscle Strength Trainer.
- To make it more difficult to blow air out through the valve, tighten the EMST150™ trainer’s spring by rotating the knob to the right. To loosen the spring and make it easier to blow air out through the valve, rotate the knob to the left.
- On the EMST150™ Trainer, the pressure required to open the valve is indicated where the small metal screw on the bottom edge of the knob touches a line on the scale.
- Beginning your training: Carefully follow the steps detailed below with help from your trainer.
- Remember: Only adjust the valve and/or move to the next calibrated line once you have trained at that particular setting for a week.
Beginning your training:
- Place the nose clip on your nose.
- Turn the knob of the EMST150™ to the left or counterclockwise until you can no longer turn it. The EMST150™ is now at the lowest pressure or 30cmH20. Start here.
- Remove the cap from the mouth piece and place the mouthpiece into the EMST150™
- Take a deep breath in, then insert the EMST150™ mouthpiece into your mouth, behind your teeth, and make a tight seal with your lips around the mouthpiece. Don’t breathe out until the mouthpiece is securely in place. If necessary, use your free hand to keep your lips secure around the mouthpiece.
- Blow hard and fast through the device until air rushes through, then stop.
- If air went through the trainer, turn the knob one full turn to the right to a higher pressure. Blow through again. Increase by one turn until you can no longer blow air through.
- Then turn back 1 full turn. This is the pressure at which you will start your training.
- Once you have determined your maximum expiratory strength, it’s time to start making you stronger.
- The highest pressure that air goes through the trainer is maximum expiratory pressure
First Week of Training
Note: Pick a time of day where you have time to train and are not likely to feel tired. It will take between 20 to 30 minutes to complete a training session. We recommend picking the same time each day. You can either sit or stand, although sitting is recommend. Remember, you will train for five days at the initial setting and only then should the levels be adjusted.
- Position the nose clip over your nose.
- Take a deep breath in and don’t breathe out.
- Place the mouthpiece in your mouth, behind your teeth, and make a tight seal with your lips around it, holding or pressing the sides of your cheeks if necessary.
- Using your chest and stomach muscles, breathe out hard and fast to push air through the device. This effort should only take a few seconds.
- Rest for a minimum of 15-30 seconds. Do not skip resting in between training breaths, as it is important to allow your muscles time to prepare before the next set.
- Repeat this exercise five times (steps 1-5), then take a break for a minute. We call this a 5-breath trial.
- After the one-minute break, do another five-breath trial (steps 1-5), and then take another one-minute break.
- Complete five five-breath trials for a total of 25 training breaths.
- Cease your training session if you start to feel lightheaded at any stage.
- Record the date and time you completed the exercises, as well as the selected settings.
At the end of the first week of training, move the knob on the device by a quarter turn to the right and begin your second week of training. If you feel you can turn the knob to a higher level, do so, but remember air should always move freely through the device without great effort.
Weeks 2, 3, 4 and 5
Continue with training as described in Week 1, adjusting the device settings at the end of each week.
After completing five weeks of training, continue to train at the final setting achieved in Week 5. During the Maintenance Program, train for three days a week, completing 25 training breaths per session with your EMST150™ training device. If you feel you can adjust the knob to a higher level during the course of the Maintenance Program, do so. But always remember, training with the device should never require extreme breathing effort or cause fatigue.
Should you have any issues during your Maintenance Program, please do not hesitate to consult your doctor.
Disassembling and Cleaning your EMST150™
The mouthpiece is the only removable part of the EMST150™Expiratory Muscle Strength Trainer. To remove the mouthpiece, pull gently until it is loosened. The remaining parts of the device do not detach. Never attempt to take the rest of your trainer apart.
We strongly advise weekly cleaning of the mouthpiece. Use only, warm water and mild soap to wash and rinse the mouthpiece. Do not place the device in the dishwasher or microwave. Air dry before re-using.
The EMST150™ Expiratory Muscle Strength Trainer is a personal device and should not be shared. The life of the device will depend on usage and regular cleaning, as described. Avoid harmful cleaning agents, such as bleach, and ultrasonic cleaning. Extreme heat is also harmful to the trainer. Store the device in a clean dry place.
Keep the EMST150™ trainer and all parts away from small children.
If you suffer from any of the following conditions, please be sure to consult your therapist or physician before starting this or any exercise program.
- If you are pregnant or suspect you may be pregnant
- If you have untreated hypertension
- If you have recently had a stroke
- If you have any cardiac abnormalities
- If you have emphysema, asthma, or chronic obstructive lung disease
- If you have ever experienced a collapsed lung
- If you have had surgery to the head or neck
- If you have untreated gastroesophageal reflux disease