Soft Foods for Swallowing
Difficulties in swallowing can be common after Laryngectomy and finding a nutritional balance is even more difficult for some people.
Here we have selected some tips, soft recipe links, sweet foods and drinks for you to enjoy with your family.
- Sit upright
- Eat small meals regularly
- Eat plenty of: soups, smoothies, casseroles, meatloaf, fibre, herbal teas such as Green tea.
- We encourage steaming, slow cooking, soaking and stewing of foods to make foods easier to swallow.
- Avoid empty calories such as soft drink, coffee and sweets.
- Consider calorie, protein (lean meats, fish, chicken, tofu, dairy) and fat intake to assist recovery.
- Rolled oats with stewed apple and honey
- Chia seed pudding
- Scrambled eggs
- Banana Bread
- Oat Muffins
- Healthy Bliss Balls
- Dips and crackers
- Stewed fruit
- creamed chicken corn
- vegetable minestrone
- tomato, beef and pumpkin
- lamb and sweet potato
- chickpea and sweet potato
- beef and mushroom stroganoff
- vegetable and chickpea
- lentil dahl
- fish curry
- lamb and vegetable massaman curry
- Steamed fish with rice, broccoli and pine nuts
- Steamed chicken with mashed potato and green beans
- Fish cakes
- Zucchini and corn fritters
- Meat or Vege lasagna or Lentil Eggplant Zucchini Moussaka
- Shepherd's Pie
- Thai vege noodles
- Strawberry Rhubarb Upside Down Cake - Genuinely Julie
- Frozen Mango Macadamia Crunch - Womens Weekly
- Panna Cotta - Food to Love
- Berry Pudding - Jamie Oliver
- Christmas Trifle - Taste.com.au
- Palate cleanser: Blend watermelon, apple juice and ice cubes
- Mango Daiquiri: Blend mango, passionfruit, orange juice and ice cubes
- Pina Colada: Blend pineapple, coconut milk and ice cubes
- Ice Cubes: Process 1 lebanese cucumber and mint leaves, strain and add water then freeze into ice cube trays. Add to your favourite cold drink.
Links of interest - click images
Smooth as Silk Cookbook - Compiled by the Laryngectomee Association of NSW
Genuinely Julie - Researcher, cancer survivor, health & wellness bloggerfor the Laryngectomee community, traveler, animal, nature, & pole fitness lover, making the most of this beautiful life!
Web Whispers - International Internet support group for laryngectomees.
Easy to Swallow - Claire Wade
Kellie Anderson and kelliesfoodtoglow.com
Kitchen Q Video
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for informational purposes only. The information on this website www.mainmed.com.au should not be considered as any form of medical advice. This information should not replace any advice from your nutritionist, dietician or healthcare professional. You should always consult with a physician or other healthcare professional before taking any products or following any advice that you believe may conflict with other forms of health care. Always consult your health care professional before you start, stop or change anything that has been previously prescribed. The information on this internet site is not meant to treat, diagnose, prescribe or cure any ailment.