Soft Foods for Swallowing
Difficulties in swallowing can be common after Laryngectomy and finding a nutritional balance is even more difficult for some people.
Here we have some tips, recipe links, sweet food suggestions and drinks for you to enjoy with your family - especially over this holiday period.
Eating tips for Laryngectomy patients:
- Sit upright
- Eat small meals regularly
- Eat plenty of: soups, smoothies, casseroles, meatloaf, fibre, herbal teas such as Green tea.
- We encourage steaming, slow cooking, soaking and stewing of foods to make foods easier to swallow.
- Avoid empty calories such as soft drinks, coffee and sweets.
- Consider calorie, protein (lean meats, fish, chicken, tofu, dairy) and fat intake to assist recovery.
- Rolled oat porridge with stewed apple and honey
- Chia seed pudding
- Scrambled eggs
- Oat Brits
- Banana Bread
- Oat Muffins
- Healthy Bliss Balls
- Dips and crackers
- Stewed fruit
- Steamed fish with rice, broccoli and pine nuts
- Steamed chicken with mashed potato and green beans
- Fish cakes
- Zucchini and corn fritters with tomato salsa
- Mince lamb, chicken or vege lasagna - Genuinely Julie
- Lentil Eggplant Zucchini Moussaka
- Shepherd's Pie
- Thai vege noodles
- Strawberry Rhubarb Upside Down Cake - Genuinely Julie
- Frozen Mango Macadamia Crunch - Womens Weekly
- Panna Cotta - Food to Love
- Berry Pudding - Jamie Oliver
- Christmas Trifle - Taste.com.au
- Chocolate mousse
- Mince fruit pies
- Ice Cream / Sorbet
- Palate cleanser: Blend watermelon, apple juice and ice cubes
- Mango Daiquiri: Blend mango, passionfruit, orange juice and ice cubes
- Pina Colada: Blend pineapple, coconut milk and ice cubes
- Ice Cubes: Process 1 lebanese cucumber and mint leaves, strain and add water then freeze into ice cube trays. Add to your favourite cold drink.
Links of interest
Click images to view websites
Smooth as Silk Cookbook - Compiled by the Laryngectomee Association of NSW
|Genuinely Julie - Researcher, cancer survivor, health & wellness bloggerfor the Laryngectomee community, traveler, animal, nature, & pole fitness lover, making the most of this beautiful life!|
|Recipes for healthy family meals from the Cancer Council NSW|
|Web Whispers - International Internet support group for laryngectomees.|
|Easy to Swallow - Claire Wad|
|Kellie Anderson and kelliesfoodtoglow.com|
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for informational purposes only. The information on this website www.mainmed.com.au should not be considered as any form of medical advice. This information should not replace any advice from your nutritionist, dietician or healthcare professional. You should always consult with a physician or other healthcare professional before taking any products or following any advice that you believe may conflict with other forms of health care. Always consult your health care professional before you start, stop or change anything that has been previously prescribed. The information on this internet site is not meant to treat, diagnose, prescribe or cure any ailment.